22 Apr 2014

Bboy Music Mondays | #1 | It’s Just Begun – Jimmy Castor Bunch

I know it says Music Mondays and I'm posting this up on a Tuesday because I forgot that yesterday was Monday. Hurray for Easter disorientation! Frankly it doesn't even matter because Tuesday in New Zealand equates to Monday where most of my readers are from so it's perfect. (Although from here on out I will try and post this series up on Mondays. MY Mondays).


So, here's the story. During the weekend I came up with this Bboy Music Mondays series after going through my iPod's Bboy Songs playlist. I felt a chord struck and got lost in nostalgia. Even though I stopped breaking after I finished University, every time I hear a passing or familiar beat I get taken back to some better days. I decided I'd like to share some of these slices of life - the bgirl edition - and share these songs that hold meaning to me. And what better way to begin this series with:


It's Just Begun by the Jimmy Castor Bunch

...


This is a bboy anthem. Every bboy and bgirl out there will know this song. It is that very fact that this song holds sentimental value as I once saw how truly unified the breaking community is with it. I already told this story once but I'll tell it here again.

It was Orientation week at my University and on hip hop day a small bboy battle exhibition was held. When the jam was over, the DJ played It's Just Begun as a parting gift. So much for parting. Someone in the crowd started rocking and soon a whole group of bboys and bgirls who were originally on their way back to class had come back to join the uprocking. This simple, foundational breaking move needed no communication or instruction to all those who came in to dance it. Bboys and bgirls just did it. And it was fascinating.

Onlookers were vexed to see how these dancers moved so similarly and yet so differently that it led to some believing it had all been staged. I just thought the effect it had on everyone watching was incredible. I'm sure it made people want to learn. Mostly girls. Sigh.

Anything like this ever happen to you?


Peaces x :)


No comments:

Post a Comment