7 Apr 2013

Music Revives Old Man | Bboy Spot Article


If you don’t already follow the Bboy Spot, you should. They have some pretty amazing products solely for bboys, but they also write some amazing and thought provoking articles. The most recent one I’ve come across (but isn’t a recent article) is about an old man who came to life once he heard music from his era.

In an earlier blog I wrote about how a certain piece of music brought me back to a summer in the past that I have long forgotten. The music enabled me to remember the little insignificant things I did, almost instantly and vividly. Who would remember what they wore, what they ate and where they were at a particular time – where they were heading and what they were going to do? I think trying to remember a memory so deep would be a straining mission to do, especially memory so minor and without any special attachment. But with music, that was something I did within seconds.

The Old Man in the video had buried himself in his own self-seclusion and thoughts that it was hard to converse with him on the regular. He loved music when he was younger and the moment he heard songs from his era, he was a transformed person. The Bboy Spot says music is like fuel for the soul. That’s something I fully agree with. Here’s the clip.



This is what we mean by using technology to good use :P. In our generation, music has become an important aspect in our lives, so much so that there are actually laws preventing us from downloading music illegally because it’s just that significant that people would go lengths to get it. As dancers, music is part of our identity. Without it we can’t define the way we move, we can’t define what we interpret.

Before I saw this video, I totally took for granted the effects music had in my life. For the old man, it gave him pleasure the moment he heard "his" music. Music is definitely a timeless piece of something to be enjoyed in the present and in the future. I better create some great "yo, that's mah song!" memories for the Older Me to remember :)