17 Apr 2013

We Are Beautiful | Dove Ad Campaign



“You are more beautiful than what you think”

I woke up this morning with that message hovering above me. On any other occasion I would have brushed these words aside as it reminded me of something my parents or grandparents would say enough for it to lose its meaning. But after having witnessed this Dove Ad Campaign in which the words were used with such gentle force and delivery, I can’t help but take its meaning to heart this day.

Like most girls, no matter how much I deny it, or hide it, I still care about what I look outside the house – still a little self-conscious at times about what others think of me. Some people feel it more than others regardless of being a man or a woman, and we can’t ignore the existence of this weakness we all seem to have: public image.

However, the way we see ourselves may just be too far from how we actually look, and often times, see ourselves too negatively. This ad campaign tries to relay the message that we are, in fact, more beautiful than we think and that we are our own worst critics. How we perceive our image affects our confidence and how we go about our daily lives, and if we see ourselves too negatively, it will come out in our disposition when it doesn’t need to.

Check it out.










Society packages beauty in this unreachable standard that prompts us to create the image we perceive of ourselves, which is often negative. We are bombarded with what ‘beauty’ is supposed to be and ignore the fact that beauty is actually everywhere around us. All the pressures we see in the media and expectations only create a false notion of what it truly is and should be.

I also find it interesting that the sketch illustrating how a stranger sees a person is a much closer depiction of reality as opposed to how the person sees their self. It's like we are all stuck behind a mask that we created for ourselves. We may not know ourselves as well as we think we do after all.

I think women just need to be reminded that they are beautiful so that they don't dig themselves into this pit of self-pity thinking they are falling behind an unrealistic standard. So boys, don’t be afraid to let someone know they’re beautiful as it may just make their day... and yours :)



Peace. x :)