27 Mar 2013

You Are Not A Bboy… | Bboy Casper



I was surfing around the net, like I usually do, looking for some words of wisdom for my collection – when this interesting list came up. It was a repost off of Casper’s tumblr. I often come across stuff like these and don’t ever find them again. So I’m sharing it now while I can :)

10 Ways you can tell you’re not a “BBOY”:

1. If you’re wearing a shirt that says “bboy,” then you’re not a bboy.
2. If you’re still confused whether or not bboying is a sport, you’re not a bboy.
3. If you’re breaking to the song “Let The Sunshine In” by Aquarius, then you’re not a bboy.
4. If you’re doing footwork and you have a helmet on your head, you’re not a bboy.
5. If you break in the cypher and tell everybody how real you are for doing so… you’re not a bboy.
6. If the music stops and you’re not done finishing your set, you’re not a bboy.
7. If your bboy name is also a name for a household cleaning supply, you’re not a bboy.
8. If you hurt yourself top-rocking, you’re not a bboy.
9. If you’re taking a small nap at a jam, you’re not a bboy.
10. If your goal in life is to win BC One… you’re not a bboy.
—           Jesse “Casper” Brown

Heh, it’s a pretty legit list, especially coming from someone who’s been reppin the scene for so long. I’m not about to argue with any of these points, but I also don’t agree with all of them.

My favourites are 4, 6 and 8, heh. #6 especially is the truest for me. I get slightly peeved when a bboy is still trying to finish a set after a song had finished, especially when it’s a good set too, as it goes to show that he’s not dancing in that instance. He’s just throwing a pre-prepared set of movements and the music loses its purpose... It’s also true reversed – I get annoyed when the DJ fades the music in the middle of a set.

Recently I injured my heel top-rocking. I guess I’m not a bboy/bgirl *sad face* lol. I guess his point is, injuries obtained from Top-Rocking are nothing to cry about. Just keep breaking until we seriously get injured badly (?). PS: I don’t recommend this :P

Peace and Love :) x